Sensata Technologies has a new power disconnect solution chosen by some charging infrastructure OEMs to enable faster and safer DC fast charging, the company says. Sensata’s solution combines contactors and GigaFuses from its Gigavac product brand to provide a value-added contactor module, which the company says simplifies installations while delivering safer and more effective system protection compared to traditional contactor and thermal fuse pairings.
To compete with traditional internal combustion engines, EVs need faster charging times, so EV Charging Systems are quickly migrating from 400V to 1,000V and from 50kW to up to 350kW to shorten charging times to less than 20 minutes. While higher voltage and current levels reduce charging times, they increase the safety risks and design challenges for the systems. High voltage contactors provide safe circuit continuity while fuses are required in tandem for circuit-protection in the event of a hazardous short circuit event, Sensata says.
Sensata says GigaFuse offers several advantages compared to a conventional DC thermal fuse, including the ability to:
- Open a circuit within 3 mS;
- Open a circuit closer to normal operating conditions without nuisance tripping;
- Pair more easily with the contactor because of its electro-mechanical triggering mechanism;
- Help prevent overloading;
- Reduce thermal resistance, typically 0.15 mohm; and
- Eliminate thermal aging due to low heat generation.